Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Great Southwest Lindy Fest

This past weekend I headed out to Houston for the Great Southwest Lindy Fest. On the way there I stopped at Arby's for a Dr. Pepper and some curly Fries, which resulted in an arrival time of around midnight. Where I hit the dance for about 2 hours. Unfortunately I had forgotten how much caffeine affects me, and I didn't sleep at all Thursday night. Normally this would only be a minor inconvenience, but Friday night was the American Lindy Hop Championships Regionals. Additionally, I somehow hurt my knee during the classes on Friday. I was getting these sharp-shooting pains, almost as if I was pinching a nerve in my knee. So I decided to bail on the competition, and instead went to sleep (for a good 12 hours). I'm actually quite glad I didn't compete. I would've sucked, and would probably be pissed at myself for doing poorly. I don't dance well when I'm tired. In order to dance well I have to be able to just listen to the music and let my body express it. When I'm tired that just does not happen.

Saturday on the other hand was a completely different story. I had more fun dancing last weekend than I've had in almost 4 months. There were a few times on Saturday where I never left the floor. Girls just kept coming up to me, asking me to dance. I only asked 3 girls to dance that entire night, but I rarely left the floor. I also had this awesome dance with Dawn Hampton, who is one of the originals. Someone even started filming the two of us dancing. I hope I find the tape someday, so I can share it with all of you. I had so much fun this weekend that this morning I found myself looking up what event I'm going to next (London or even Spain). That's a pretty big change compared to the beginning of the year, when I was telling myself that I was going to not travel to dance as much.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home