Monday, October 10, 2005

My response to a recent naming scheme update from marketing.

From marketing
"That is what branding is all about. The name is not how you distinguish things ... like Kleenex."

My response.

"Yes but generic branding usually refers to singular products. i.e.
Kleenex -> stuff you wipe your nose with
Roller Blades -> things you'd like to race down the halls in.

Kleenex makes the
Kleenex Upright Floral
http://www.kleenex.com/us/products/everyday/Upright.asp

Or the Soft Pack
http://www.kleenex.com/us/products/everyday/softpack.asp

Amazingly all the kleenex products have something in common. They have Kleenex inside.

If kleenex wanted to make a car that had a special spot for the Kleenex Upright do you think they'd call it the Kleenex U? I certainly hope not, but this is exactly what we are doing."


I will keep you guys apprised to the situation as it unfolds. My note has already been passed up to second line management, and is being passed around the marketing group. And i only sent it out 7 minutes ago. I wish I could tell you guys more, but darn NDAs prevent it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home